Wisdom Teeth Extraction
- Wisdom teeth are the third and final set of molars that emerge, usually during your late teens to early twenties.
- For some people the wisdom teeth emerge through the gums and have enough room to grow in naturally.
- For others, wisdom teeth often cause problems as they are trying to protrude through the gums.
- When a wisdom tooth is impacted the tooth is coming in at an angle and not straight through the gum line.
- This can cause pain, the tooth can come in unevenly, or the tooth may only emerge partially.
Impacted wisdom teeth can cause structural damage to the jaw and other teeth.
- They can also provide a place for bacteria to gather since they are hard to reach and clean.
- These potential problems make it necessary to remove impacted wisdom teeth so that larger problems do not arise.
- Routine x-rays during a dental exam can reveal if you will need to have your wisdom teeth removed.